Setting up System on AT machine

Alex Laney alex at xicom.UUCP
Wed Jun 14 02:39:59 AEST 1989

In article <209 at nirvo.UUCP>, kdg at nirvo.UUCP (Kurt Gollhardt) writes:
> In article <143900001 at cdp>, cassidy at cdp.UUCP writes:
> > Could someone please tell me if it's possible to setup AT&tT's System V on a
> > 8MHz AT? I presently have an 8 MHz AT, Telebit T2000 modem, Hercules Display,
> > 1 meg of RAM (upgrading to 2 Meg this week) and 2 Miniscribe 3650 40 Meg
> > Hard drives. I would like to set the system up to use 2 terminals, and run a
> > MS-DOS shell of some sorts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Not unless you replace the CPU with an 80386, such as the Intel Inboard 386.
> There is no version of AT&T System V which runs on an 80286 (except the
> version for the AT&T 6300-Plus, but that system has special hardware support).

Maybe not directly from AT&T, but both Microport System V/AT and SCO Xenix
System V are System V compatible (i.e. SVID compliant), and run on '286
based IBM PC AT compatibles. Note, they are not the latest version.

Both have MS-DOS shell support -- DOS Merge, and SCO Vp/ix.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Technologies Corp., Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (NOT alex at xicom)     Fax: (613) 728-1134