AIX (is it unix)?

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at sun505.UUCP
Fri Sep 22 09:41:01 AEST 1989

In article <978 at mtxinu.UUCP> shore at mtxinu.com (Melinda Shore) writes:
>There's a considerable
>amount of anti-SysV bigotry, particularly in the academic community.

Admittedly there's a lot of SysV-bashing that goes on, but I find that
it is quite justified.

If you don't have time to repeatedly defragment filesystems, need
longer filenames, need links that will work across partitions, wish
control characters and tabs would properly echo on the screen, need
some way of preventing 400 casual users from using more than 100 K of
disk space each, need a decent network mailer without having to acquire
and install it yourself, want to be able to use scripts interpreted by
different shells, want to be able to use a screen editor to edit
message headers when sending mail, want to edit the password file
without race conditions, need online manuals for L.sys and uucico, et
al ad nauseum, it's hardly bigotry to prefer BSD to SysV.

Note that Mt Xinu itself (where Melinda Shore is posting from) has
chosen to take BSD and add SysV functionality to it, rather than doing
the opposite.  I'm sure it is for a very simple reason:  SysV simply
does not have the capability to provide everything that BSD provides.
The reverse is easily true.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi