AIX (is it unix)?

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Thu Sep 21 01:51:08 AEST 1989

In article <1127 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

>The original question involved using TCP/IP to move files from a 370 to
>a Unix workstation... The easiest answer is to get TCP/IP for MVS
>(the normal large 370 operating system).  Why purchase AIX/370, just to
>move data from the 370 to a workstation?

I agree partially, given that all you want is file storage, furthermore,
there is also a TCP/IP and NFS package available for VM. But perhaps if your
workstations are Unix based, it would be arguable that a Unix type
filesystem on your 370 would be desirable. Especially since AIX370 comes
with full NFS, it makes for a seamless filesystem integration or at least for
a more intuitive one (VM/CMS and MVS have a flat filesystem).

>Now don't get me wrong; when AIX/370 hits general availability soon, I
>plan to push hard to get it.  However, I have different needs.  Also,
>AIX/370 is a little peculiar in that you can't just hook-up a terminal
>to your 370, and login.

Glad to hear you will be a customer :-}. The reason you can't just hook
up a terminal and go is because as far as VM is concerned the AIX system
is just another user, just like someone who logs in and runs CMS, and
since VM does not allow multiple logins...well, you see. However, if
VM TCP/IP is installed the regular VM user can telnet to the IP address
of the AIX370 virtual system and use it as a regular user.

>It is my understanding that the ONLY things
>you can do with AIX/370 require either AIX for PS/2, AIX for RT, or
>"AIX Access for DOS" to login.  Once again, when available, there is
>a pretty slick facility, called TCF, for sharing work with a 370.

This is not strictly true, there are plenty of places where a large
network of Sun or other workstation users are accessing AIX370 by
simply telneting in. The PS/2's are a special case in that they can
make up a distributed Unix cluster with one or more 370 systems. This
is what is called TCF (Transparent Computing Facility). It provides
a root and maybe multiple user filesystems that transparently span
up to 30 systems. It is one of the added value features that Locus
provides to IBM, and your right it is very slick!! Also these PS/2's
can then be outfitted with multiport serial cards and 16 or more
regular terminal users can be hung off them, this is the kind of
setup we actually use here at Locus.

>AIX is not particularly EASY
>to setup on a 370.

Well, I don't know that anything is particularly easy to set up on a
370 :-)! Actually , since I can install a system in a few hours and I
understand VM or MVS installs sometimes go into weeks I would rate the
AIX370 install as relatively easy :-}.

Also, in response to that poster who claimed AIX is not Unix, all I have
to say is that the last time I looked at the source (which was a few
minutes ago :-} ), it certainly looked like a combination of 5.2 and
4.3 stuff to me :-} :-}.

Disclaimer: This is not an official statement, my opinions are my own.
Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu