AIX (is it unix)?

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Sun Sep 17 07:41:42 AEST 1989

The original question involved using TCP/IP to move files from a 370 to
a Unix workstation... The easiest answer is to get TCP/IP for MVS
(the normal large 370 operating system).  Why purchase AIX/370, just to
move data from the 370 to a workstation?

Now don't get me wrong; when AIX/370 hits general availability soon, I
plan to push hard to get it.  However, I have different needs.  Also,
AIX/370 is a little peculiar in that you can't just hook-up a terminal
to your 370, and login.  It is my understanding that the ONLY things
you can do with AIX/370 require either AIX for PS/2, AIX for RT, or
"AIX Access for DOS" to login.  Once again, when available, there is
a pretty slick facility, called TCF, for sharing work with a 370.

You don't need these things to move data.  AIX is not particularly EASY
to setup on a 370.  If you just want to move data over TCP/IP, you
don't need AIX.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin