anon ftp to Simtel

Mike Tarrani mtarrani at crash.cts.com
Fri Sep 15 05:21:13 AEST 1989

In article <11651 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> baileyc at tramp.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:
>Help!  Another message about anonymous ftping.  I want to know how
>I can see if Simtel20 has a certain archive I want (multi-edit 4.01).
>I am on a University UNIX system that has ftp.  How do I do the
>so called anonymous ftp???  And once I'm on, what is the MS-DOS
>directory?  thanx...
>
>Chris Bailey
>------------
>C--, a better name for Pascal.

Anonymous ftp refers to the account you login to ... use anonymous,
then guest (even though you will prompted that you can use your
real id.)

MS-DOS archives are in PD1:<MSDOS>

Standard Unix(tm) commands will work (such as cd to navigate around).
If, for example, you want to change directory to a subdirectory
named EDITORS (I believe there is one on SIMTEL under MSDOS), all
you have to do is "cd pd1:<msdos.editors>" (the system appears to
be case insensitive) and then you can issue an ls to see the directory
listing.

Since you are on a Unix(tm) machine, make sure you set "tenex" before
getting any binary files; ftp comes up as ASCII as default.  Trust me
on this one :-)

Hope this answers your questions.

Mike Tarrani          crash!mtarrani at nosc.mil
Network Analyst       Network Engineering Technologies
                      San Diego, CA