anon ftp to Simtel

John Birchfield jb at CSUStan.EDU
Fri Sep 15 07:59:09 AEST 1989

In article <371 at crash.cts.com> mtarrani at crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani) writes:
>In article <11651 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> baileyc at tramp.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:
>>Help!  Another message about anonymous ftping.  I want to know how
>>I can see if Simtel20 has a certain archive I want (multi-edit 4.01).
>>I am on a University UNIX system that has ftp.  How do I do the
>Mike Tarrani          crash!mtarrani at nosc.mil

I have also found that it's best to include the following
commands before attempting to copy over any .arc (or other binary)
files.

	quote "type l 8"
	binary

The first line tells simtel to translate from it's internal data
representation to 8 bit bytes.

The second makes sure that your local ftp process is in binary mode.

This can save considerable time downloading files that don't unpack.

I just looked over a fairly recent listing of the msdos files on
simtel and all I saw was
	pd1:<msdos.editor>me300barc.1