Telnet/FTP over TTY port

Richard Steinberger ric at ace.sri.com
Wed Sep 20 03:02:28 AEST 1989

I am interested in finding out if telnet/ftp can be used between two TTY
ports.  I need to connect two distant computers using 9600 baud (Microcom)
modems, and it would be nice if I had some choice other than kermit (I
believe the error checking in TCP/IP is more efficient in the presence of
noise, but I may be wrong in this).  One of the machines is an Alliant
running a BSD 4.2 equivalent (soon to be 4.3).  Can someone confirm as to
whether TCP/IP over TTY/modems on Unix systems is possible?  If so, where
should I look to find the details of how to do it?

regards,

ric steinberger

Cyberspace:  ric at ace.sri.com
             ric at rml2.sri.com