A way to monitor your files

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Sun Sep 10 00:47:34 AEST 1989

In article <547 at chem.ucsd.EDU>, ghm at chem.ucsd.edu (Novice.****) writes:
>  I am really new to unix and was just wondering if there is a program/file
>  or something ( for lack of better word) that allows me to know when and
>  by whom my files have been accessed.

This kind of access auditing is not available under vanilla UNIX.  As time
goes on you will see the additions of different security features which will
provide the kind of information you want (although the only person that should
be allowed to review a security audit log is the system administrator or some
"trusted" program).

SCO UNIX is supposed to have a full C2 level security implementation which
requires kernel auditing, but I have no details as to the implementation.