A way to monitor your files

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Sep 9 16:10:33 AEST 1989

In article <547 at chem.ucsd.EDU> ghm at chem.ucsd.edu (Novie.****) writes:
> I have tried to change the mode of the files to limit access to only
> myself ( at least certain personal files) but this measure seems
> utterly useless with superusers. Encrypting is out of the question.

UNIX generally provides no audit trail for file accesses, so you cannot
tell who accessed them.  You can tell when they were last accessed,
however; try "ls -u".

Apart from encryption or storing your files off-line, there's no way
to keep someone who has superuser privilege from accessing your files.
It sounds like an administrative issue to me; try talking to your site
manager.  If your site manager is the culprit, then perhaps you should
get your own computer for your own secret stuff.