Call-in & call-out on the same line

NetNews Administrator news at fps.com
Fri Sep 29 12:54:29 AEST 1989

In article <1912 at fibercom.COM> dwm at fibercom.COM (David W. Minnich) writes:

>My system: Sun 3/160, 3.5, w/ Telebit TB+
>
>I need to use the same line for both call-in and call-out.  According to
>everything I read in TFM, this should be possible, but no luck yet.  I have
>seen references to uugetty, which may be what I need.  Is uugetty PD?  Where
>is it available?  If you have solved this problem on a Sun (or something
>similar), or if you have suggestions on where I should look, I'd appreciate
>the help.
>
>Please reply by email to the address below; followups have been directed to
>comp.unix.questions.
>
>--dave

Actually, it's pretty easy on a Sun.  You have to build some cu devices.

If you have:

	crw-rw-rw-  1 root      12,   0 May 10 00:13 /dev/ttya

Just use mknod to make:

	crw-rw-rw-  1 root      12, 128 Sep 24 18:04 /dev/cua0

These refer to the same physical port.  Run your getty on ttya and
do you dialouts on cua0.  The acu device is always has a minor
device number, 128 greater than the normal device.  So you could also
have:

	crw-rw-rw-  1 root      12,   1 May 10 00:13 /dev/ttyb
	crw-rw-rw-  1 root      12, 129 Sep 24 18:04 /dev/cua1

Etc.

Make sure that your modem has echo and result codes turned off or
it will blow your getty's mind.  When a user opens the acu device
the getty, which was blocked on carrier, just keeps on blocking.

When you close the acu device, it can take login's again.

If only it worked so easily on a VAX.

--Bill