What is 4.3+tahoe?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Fri Sep 22 11:16:55 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep21.130058.15909 at rpi.edu>, krf at mars.ral.rpi.edu (Keith R. Fieldhouse) writes:
> My question relates to another version of Unix that I've seen
> mentioned: "4.3+tahoe".  Just what is 4.3+tahoe?  Is it the current
> version of 4.3?  Does it run NFS?  How might I obtain it or more
> information about it?  Or have I made some silly assumptions?

4.3+tahoe is the lastest BSD release which is now being developed on a
CCI (now ICL North America) Power 6/32.  CCI nicknamed the machines tahoe
during development.

Rumour has it that DEC was complaining that BSD development on VAXs was
somehow interfering with Ultrix.

The 4.3 tahoe release, as far as I know, will still work with VAXs.  I
recently worked on a 4.3 development project using VAX 11/50s, but I am
not positive that it was the 4.3 tahoe release.

As far as NFS is concerned, it is not part of the standard BSD release. It
is normally an add on package added by an os vendor.