Encryption and editing (encrypted mail revisited)

Perry Hutchison perry at ccssrv.UUCP
Sat Sep 23 13:17:54 AEST 1989

In article <226 at usna.MIL> baldwin at cad.usna.mil.UUCP (J. D. Baldwin
<baldwin at usna>) writes:

> Whenever I edit an encrypted file in *any* way, it trashes the info!
> I imagine that jove is adding some kind of end-of-file character ...
> I am using jove in (Text) mode.

My guess is that the editor is removing nulls and perhaps other non-text
characters from the encrypted file, clearing high bits, or something of
the sort.  Using binary mode may help, but the file will still get messed
up in transmission.  Try uuencoding it.  (Of course then the recipient
needs to have uudecode.)