AIX (is it unix)?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Sep 27 03:01:23 AEST 1989

In article <38836 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd at cs.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
-In article <11148 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
-|In article <890 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
-|the SVR4
-|implementation has little in common with BSD [...]
-|Its memory management, like SunOS's, is entirely
-|different.
-Please, please tell me it's entirely different from that of sVr3.

Yes, it is.  SVR3 memory management was based on "regions" a la VMS;
SVR4's VM is a page-based system based on SunOS's approach.

-|Its network base is entirely different,
-What do you mean by "entirely"?  I'll be really unhappy if it only
-talks to other sysV machines.

I mean that BSD's fundamental networking mechanism is the "socket"
while SVR4's is based on streams.  The word "base", and especially
the mention of "r-commands", should indicate that I wasn't talking
about global protocols.  TCP/IP, UDP, etc. are supposed to be
supported in addition to the usual AT&T-specific facilities.

-What I'd really like to know is if there are any publications which
-describe what's new and what's changed in sVr4.

I'm not sure I should volunteer this information, but the title
foil for the "SVR4 Overview" from the Baltimore USENIX conference
presentation had Marilyn Partel's name on it (mar at attunix.att.com).
Perhaps she can send you the complete information packet as handed
out in Baltimore, or tell you where you can get it.