AIX (is it unix)?

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Tue Sep 26 06:03:06 AEST 1989

In article <11148 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
|In article <890 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
|the SVR4
|implementation has little in common with BSD [...]
|Its memory management, like SunOS's, is entirely
|different.

Please, please tell me it's entirely different from that of sVr3.  I'm
getting pretty tired of figuring out just how many of each NBLK
parameter I'm going to be using before I use it, and really tired of
watching my system's performance degrade the longer it stays up.
These things don't happen under vanilla 4.3 or SunOS!

|Its general
|filesystem support is entirely different (although one module does support
|BSD filesystems as a special case).

Well, that's good, the current filesystem is terrible.  I hope the new
one is much improved.  I miss both long filenames and good filesystem
response when dealing with sysV.

|Its network base is entirely
|different,

What do you mean by "entirely"?  I'll be really unhappy if it only
talks to other sysV machines.

|And in general it makes the current BSD release look sick.

That's good news, it's been too long coming.

What I'd really like to know is if there are any publications which
describe what's new and what's changed in sVr4.  Any leads?  This kind
of information would go a long way towards appeasing those of us who
would really like to know if the new, improved, sysV will be all that
has been promised, or if we'll just have to wait until 4.3 runs on our
hardware.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com