AIX (is it unix)?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 24 14:47:24 AEST 1989

In article <890 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>However, I doubt that S5R4 will really be System V, any more than SunOS
>is System V.  I suspect it will be SunOS, based on BSD as always, with
>more features added.

Why should we care what you "doubt" and "suspect" when it's all guesswork?
If you attended any of the SVR4 presentations, such as the AT&T BOF at the
Baltimore Usenix, it would have been quite apparent that the SVR4
implementation has little in common with BSD, other than a common 7th
Edition UNIX heritage.  Its memory management, like SunOS's, is entirely
different.  Its character I/O system is entirely different.  Its general
filesystem support is entirely different (although one module does support
BSD filesystems as a special case).  Its network base is entirely
different, although some of the "r-commands" may have been adapted from
BSD versions.  And in general it makes the current BSD release look sick.