AIX (is it unix)?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 24 13:23:15 AEST 1989

In article <868 at cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>Note that Mt Xinu itself (where Melinda Shore is posting from) has
>chosen to take BSD and add SysV functionality to it, rather than doing
>the opposite.  I'm sure it is for a very simple reason:  SysV simply
>does not have the capability to provide everything that BSD provides.
>The reverse is easily true.

Oh, bullshit.  Neither SVR3 nor 4.3BSD is capable of fully emulating the
other's services.  It happened that I needed a System V environment for
applications and software development and had to use Berkeley-based systems,
so I designed and produced an SVR2 emulation that can be added as a layer
atop 4.2BSD or 4.3BSD.  I don't know what Mt. Xinu's currently offering,
but they started with my System V emulation as an add-on option for the
4.nBSD systems that they offer commercial support for.

As Melinda said, there is a lot of bigotry out there.  Mostly I think it
stems from people being annoyed when faced with environments that don't
offer all the facilities they've gotten accustomed to.  As one who works
primarily in a System V environment, I find "raw BSD" extremely annoying.
Just as Rahul is accustomed to BSD and finds raw System V annoying.  The
best environment is probably one that offers the facilities of both, e.g.
4.3BSD+BRL SysV emulation, or SVR4, or several vendor offerings.