Wanted: UNIX spreadsheet

phd_ivo at gsbacd.uchicago.edu phd_ivo at gsbacd.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 11 11:16:32 AEST 1989

>  Yes.  Volume 18 of the comp.sources.unix archives contain sc6.1 in
>four shar files, part01, part02, part03 and part04.  It's a very good

Well, I just downloaded sc, and it seems to be quite an effort. 2 tips for
compilation under gnu gcc. You need to set -fwritable-strings as an option,
and edit the source files so that your ctl() macros work (no space between
ctl and '(' and quote the character in the call, not the definition. Incidentally,
my computer was a NeXT, running Mach (a BSD 4.3 clone).

The best thing is that it comes with source. The worst thing is that it is
NOT Lotus 1-2-3 compatible, neither in appearance, nor command set nor file
structure. While I understand that file compatibility requires major effort,
I think it would benefit a lot of people if the thing was set up so that
Lotus commands work. I.e. / commands should offer all commands. My second
problem is that I didn't find a way---yet---to read in a free form numerical
database of my own (i.e., where I wish that each number was put in the next
cell.

/ivo	phd_ivo at gsbacd.uchicago.edu