Wanted: UNIX spreadsheet

Rusty Haddock rusty at fe2o3.UUCP
Tue Sep 12 19:47:48 AEST 1989

In article <5343 at tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo at gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
   >The best thing is that it comes with source. The worst thing is that it is
   >NOT Lotus 1-2-3 compatible, neither in appearance, nor command set nor file
   >structure.

And it doesn't draw pretty little color graphs either. 1/2 :-}
I may be wrong, but didn't James Gosling start on VC {\bf BEFORE}
1-2-3 became the success it is today?

   >   While I understand that file compatibility requires major effort,
   >I think it would benefit a lot of people if the thing was set up so that
   >Lotus commands work. I.e. / commands should offer all commands. My second

I guess we can't please everyone all the time especially if you want
something new and different.  Personally, I like the little bugger of a
program and believe that everything shouldn't go looking like Lotus 1-2-3 or
a Macintosh.  Heck, if that happened someone could get sued(sp?)!!!  Then
again, I wonder what it would take to write a program to convert Loti
spreadsheets to SC form and back?

Still, for running under almost any version of Unix (SysV, BSD, Xenix, et
al), complete with sources, available for FREE!  it's that the best thing
since sliced bread.   Robert Bond, especially, has my kudos for all the work
that has been put into SC/VC making it better and much nicer looking with
each revision!

   >problem is that I didn't find a way---yet---to read in a free form numerical
   >database of my own (i.e., where I wish that each number was put in the next
   >cell.

Try the `psc' utility that came with SC 6.1.   You may have to ``rigid-up''
your free form a little bit but it'll get your numbers in there.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"