Marketing wizardry & handling of far-east languages.

3929 uucibg at swbatl.UUCP
Fri Sep 29 07:09:43 AEST 1989

In article <5566 at tank.uchicago.edu> goer at sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>Very interesting.  The problem I have found (and, regardless of ter-
>minology, it seems real enough to me) is that no one has come up
>with a standard interface that:
>
>  1) offers flexible creating and use of multiple fonts in the
>     same window
>  2) offers proportional spacing and/or overstrike, or some other
>     ready means of getting languages like Arabic on the screen
>  3) offers access to various wordwrap methods for (1) and (2)
>
>If such a system exists, I would truly like to know about it.  Short
>of this, it would be hard to call something "international."  ...

You ought to check out the MacOS's ScriptManager stuff.  It claims to do this
kind of thing.  As I recall, there were some bugs in the code but from what I
know it was substantially correct (disclaimer:  I've never actually had a
chance to work with the routines).  I believe that the known bugs were to be
fixed with the next release of the OS (which should be out 1st qtr of 1990).
For more info, you probably could post to comp.sys.mac.programmer, look at
a copy of Inside Macintosh Volume V, or call Apple and have them tell
you to do one of the first two :-).

>                                       -Richard L. Goerwitz
>                                       goer at sophist.uchicago.edu
>                                       rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer

Disclaimer:  I could be wrong. :-)

Thanks,
Brian R. Gilstrap    ...!{ {killer,bellcore}!texbell, uunet }!swbatl!uucibg
Rm 17-G-4            | "Winnie-the-Pooh read the two notices very carefully,
St. Louis, MO 63101  | first from left to right, and afterwards, in case he had
(314) 235-3929       | missed some of it, from right to left."   -- A. A. Milne