A way to monitor your files

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Sun Sep 10 08:43:02 AEST 1989

In article <29114 at news.Think.COM> barmar at think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
>If the system is C2 secure or better he wouldn't be able to hide
>completely[...]
>for instance, he could turn access auditing off and
>on around his access to the file, but the operation of disabling
>auditing would have to be audited (and a C2 system is not permitted to
>allow even the superuser to disable this audit), so all you would know
>is that he did something he wanted to hide during this time.

So, then, "or better" would have to prevent logging from being
disabled, or would have it hardware-implemented, dumping bits
into a very large place.

Any good books on the subject (I ask to prevent inciting yet another
discussion of secure unix systems such as the ones a few weeks ago
that I never expected I'd be interested in and so used the magic k
key on them... :-( )?

>In general, it's very hard to protect oneself against omnipotent
>beings.

Especially if you are one.

				--Blair
				  "And I think I speak for