Wanted - An Editor Which Handles Long Lines

Dr A. N. Walker anw at maths.nott.ac.uk
Sat Apr 7 02:13:21 AEST 1990

In article <41368 at fmsrl7.UUCP> hugh at slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) writes:

>Can emacs or any other UNIX editor do horizontal scrolling?

	No-one here uses either vi or emacs, but we certainly have an
editor which does horizontal scrolling.  It's called "exed", for
"EXperimental version of ED", and is an offshoot of our local version
of the standard "ed".  I occasionally use it for editing bitmaps.
Its other main advantage over "ed" is that it handles arbitrarily large
files [until the discs are full!] -- on the PDP-11, our "ed" conks out
at about 500K bytes.  Its disadvantage is that it's been unmaintained
for several years, since the student concerned left, so has failed to
track several developments in "ed".

	The bad news is that, although you might have to search with a
microscope, I can't guarantee it to be Bell-free, so anyone wanting it
[on an "as is" basis, tho' it works on all the machines I've ever had
access to] or "ed" [ditto] would need to flash a V6 or later source
licence at me;  also media &/or transport costs.

--
Andy Walker, Maths Dept., Nott'm Univ., UK.
anw at maths.nott.ac.uk