Wanted - An Editor Which Handles Long Lines

Frank Kaefer fkk at stasys.sta.sub.org
Mon Apr 9 04:54:59 AEST 1990

kim at spock (Kim Letkeman) writes:

> JOVE does a nice job of scrolling each line as you edit it. It moves
> perhaps 20 or 30 characters at a time.
> GnuEmacs is less smooth in this area. You either accept wrapped lines
> (which I personally dislike) or you accept chopped lines.
> (some deletions made)

Well, what about MicroEmacs ? Version 3.10 has a very nice way to
handle long lines: it scrolls vertically, and you can set the
amount of characters to scroll (variable $hjump). MicroEmacs
can even handle very long lines. I once had a text with no CRs
(CR marks the end of a line in OS-9), only LF, so uEmacs
read the whole 200 kB in one line (!).

Cheers,
Frank

[P.S.: I think MicroEmacs is one of the best editors in our galaxy]
---
+--------------------------------+ Darkness all around us