cu & uucp timeout

Brian Smithson brian at motcsd.csd.mot.com
Sat Dec 22 03:33:42 AEST 1990

ian at dms.cdc.com (Ian Hogg) writes:

>... I've found out that cu & uucico have built time time out values of
>40 seconds.  That is they assume "no answer" if the other end doesn't
>answer in 40 seconds.

>My configuration is an HP370, Trailblazer T2500 modem, and HP uses HDB uucp.

>Is there any way to work around this or freely available replacements for
>cu and uucico.  HP told me that's the way it is and I can buy the source
>code if I want to change it.

Shame on HP :-)

You can work around it by adding some delay in your dialer script before
you expect the CONNECT message.  For example:

telebit	=,-,	"" \pATZ\r\c OK\r ATDTW\T\r\c "" \d\d\d\d\d\c CONNECT

The sequence is as follows:

Send ATZ
Expect OK
Send ATDT... (dial)
Expect nothing
Wait for ~10 seconds
Expect CONNECT (this is where the dreaded uucico/cu timeout occurs)

Adjust the wait period to suit your particular needs.

--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division