compiling 68000 code on a Sun 3

Jeff Turner jeff at uf.msc.umn.edu
Fri Dec 7 10:49:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec5.031024.5958 at uunet!unhd> rg at unhd.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
>I need to be able to compile plain 68000 code on a Sun 3 to be prommed
>into an embedded system.  It looks like as and gas can assemble 68020
>and 68010 code (or, if you prefer, gcc and cc can *produce* 680[12]0 code.)
>I need to be able to do the whole thing; from compilation to assembly to
>link.  Am I in trouble?

Can't you configure GCC so that it produces 68000 code?  A quick glance at
the config files suggests that it can configured to do so.

I have an SBC application that has been developed entirely on a Sun 3 running
Sun OS 3.someting .  I use GCC to create 68020 code, and normal Sun AS and LD
to assemble and link.  Of course, I supply my own libraries and include files
so as not to use Sun's.

If your question is "Can I develop prommable code on a Sun", the answer is "yes".
If your question is "Can I generate 68000 code", the answer is "GCC looks like
it will".

-Jeff
---
Jeff Turner                  Minnesota Supercomputer Center, Inc.
(612) 626-0544               1200 Washington Avenue South
jeff at uh.msc.umn.edu          Minneapolis, Minnesota  55415