compiling 68000 code on a Sun 3

Lehtinen Pertti pl at news.funet.fi.tut.fi
Sat Dec 8 01:54:00 AEST 1990

>From article <wgstuken.660513920 at faui4n>, by wgstuken at faui4n.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Wolfgang Stukenbrock (Dipl. Zugangssystem Inf4)):
> rg at uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
>
>>I need to be able to compile plain 68000 code on a Sun 3 to be prommed
>>into an embedded system.  It looks like as and gas can assemble 68020
>>and 68010 code (or, if you prefer, gcc and cc can *produce* 680[12]0 code.)
>>I need to be able to do the whole thing; from compilation to assembly to
>>link.  Am I in trouble?
>
> Yes you are!
>
> There are two main problems.
> 1. Sun
>   Sun wants to sell you the cross-development-package and so the cc suplied
>   with your sun3 won't generate plain 680[01]0 code. The "-sun3" (for 4.0.3)
>   or the "-target sun2" (for 4.1) wont work without the cross-development-
>   extentions. I suppose "as" does the same (not testet - I fixed gas to work)

	Well, for me 'cc -mc68010' worked just ok without any cross dev package ...

	We produced code for SCC68070, and no problems in this area arised.

	Most problems you will get with loader, as it is not very easy
	tell it to start addresses for code and data, we used simple catenation
	with 'ld -N' and sun default address (0x2000) happens to be ok for us.

--
pl at tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject