VT100 compatibility on a Silicon Graphics IRIS

Dan Mercer mercer at npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM
Fri Dec 28 04:40:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec13.035401.19365 at athena.mit.edu> ramon at skye.mit.edu (Ramon F Herrera) writes:
:Hello, Silicon Graphics (System V) wizards out there:
:
:How can I make the delete key work properly if I login from
:a DEC (Ultrix/VMS/VT100 terminal) device into a Silicon
:Graphics computer?  The DELete key doesn't work, so I have
:to use ^H instead.  I have tried:
:
:% set term = vt100 (before login)
:% setenv TERM vt100 (before login)
:% stty erase DEL (after login)
:
:but they don't do the trick.  Is the terminfo file distributed
:with the SG machines erroneous??  Should I just add some 'stty'
:statement to my 'dot' files, or should the terminfo file be
:modified??
:.
:.
:.
:
:After I wrote this message, I played a little bit and I found out
:that the following solves my problem:
:
:% stty erase \<DEL><RETURN>
:
:Instead of <DEL>, I can press any key and it still works, so my
:new question is: how can I include this fix in a .login or .cshrc
:file??
:(Also, I would like to hear some opinions from terminfo hackers!)
:I tried the obvious like:
:
:%stty erase \0177 (I TYPED it, it was not in a script!)
:
:but it doesn't work.
:
:thanks,
:
:Ramon Herrera
:ramon at iona.mit.edu

On our SYSVR3.2 UNIX system  the man for stty says

        Control Assignments
				  control-character c

                    set control-character to c, where control-
                    character is erase, kill, intr, quit, swtch, eof,
                    ctab, min, or time (ctab is used with -stappl;
                    (min and time are used with -icanon.  If c is
                    preceded by an (escaped from the shell) caret (^),
                    then the value used is the corresponding CTRL
                    character (e.g., ^d is a CTRL-d); ^? is
                    interpreted as DEL and ^- is interpreted as
                    undefined.

Thus,
stty erase \^?

--
Dan Mercer
NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services