vi Alternative Required

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Sat Dec 15 15:49:14 AEST 1990

>From the keyboard of rbottin at atl.calstate.edu (Richard John Botting):
:I just caught up with this thread - I notice that nobody explained why the
:PC user has such a nasty experience when learning vi.  I have been teaching
:vi to PC and Mac users (mainly Comp Sci Majors) for 4 or 5 years and have
:come to the conclusion that I need a tape recording that says:
:
:	DON'T TOUCH THE ARROW KEYS!
:
:To say nothing of Insert, Delete, Home, End, PageUp, Page Down.

Absolutely true.  I've told them that for 6 years, and they still don't
really want to believe me.  The worst thing is when they just lean on
those keys and get so many interrupts that stuff gets dropped and they
find themselves with a mutilated file.

:Has anyone got a set of 'map!' commands that implement arrow keys in
:'vi' Input mode?

Yes, I've mailed Richard a uuencoded copy.  I posted it very recently in
comp.editors, so don't think I should post it again here.  If anyone else
would care for a copy, mail me and I'll send it to you, but do please be
sure to include a good return address in the body.  It's got a lot of
extra magic in it too for emulating emacs in vi. :-)

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist at convex.com	convex!tchrist
"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard