vi Alternative Required

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Dec 17 09:33:07 AEST 1990

In article <kherron.661202361 at s.ms.uky.edu> kherron at ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:

>The vi included with System V/386 (3.2.1 in my case), which runs on 80386-
>equipped AT-compatibles, recognizes the Insert, Home, Page Up, and Page
>Down keys in or out of insert mode.  You can actually move around in the
>file without leaving insert mode (What'll they think of next? :-).

Note, however that it actually does leave insert mode and restart it
again, with the corresponding effect on the repeat and undo commands.

People who like modelessness probably wouldn't notice this anyway, though.
While I think it does make sense to handle the extra PC keyboard keys, I
also like to know the boundaries of the "undo" buffer and don't mind
hitting escape myself to end an insert.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us