converting filenames to System V length

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Feb 7 08:53:01 AEST 1990

>Actually, it does.  AT&T SVID compliant system V normally uses the
>"system V" filesystem - with a 14-character filename limit.

If you can find anything in the SVID that calls for a 14-character
filename limit, I'll eat all four volumes of the SVID, Third Edition.
SVID compliance has nothing to do with it; the BSD file system is quite
SVID-compliant, thank you.  (Besides, it's not 100% clear that System V
from AT&T is SVID-compliant; I think I've run into cases where it
violates the SVID....)

>Some vendors have seen fit to include the BSD fast filesystem - with
>255-character filenames.  This is NOT system V

If it's not System V, neither is System V Release 4, since it comes with
the BSD file system, 255-character file names and all....