PMX/STARMail (was: 3+Open from 3Com - mail question)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Feb 13 04:17:27 AEST 1990

In article <4447 at pegasus.ATT.COM> psrc at pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:

>Well, first of all, you're missing the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance
>Center.

Errr, well, no, in fact I called them and asked how to get non-bang-path
or machine names not in the uucp Systems file past the PMX mailers and
was told it couldn't be done.  Since it was one of those things that
needed to be done yesterday (someone decided to give the board of directors
PC's with ACCESS PLUS to keep at home...) I put a fake machine name in
the Systems files and told everyone to send all mail to that machine so
no one (except me) needs to keep track of where everyone really is.

>You can put a line:
>	Pwf-validate=n
>in your /usr/lib/pmx/pmx.config (or create the file if it doesn't
>exist); that way, the PMX products won't check what appear to be local
>user names.

The customer service people didn't seem to know about that, although they
did tell me about Allow-Pwfname to get the names from the passwd file when
I asked specifically about doing that. (Unfortunately it doesn't know
about the SysV conventions so root comes out as "0000-Admin(000)" etc.).

I asked if they could send some real documentation about these features
and was told something like: "No, we just work from a pile of notes that
the developers give us..."

>You're also missing the
>correct capitalization of PMX/STARMail.

That's because I had Starlan before it was starGROUP (and I used to
run it on 3B1's - or was that in another lifetime?).

Les Mikesell
 les at chinet.chi.il.us