PMX/STARMail (was: 3+Open from 3Com - mail question)

Paul S. R. Chisholm psrc at pegasus.ATT.COM
Fri Feb 9 04:13:47 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb7.045404.13659 at chinet.chi.il.us>, les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
> Is there any way to give an RFC822 style address to the STARMAIL mailer?
> I'm using a 3B2 server with DOS clients over Starlan and haven't found
> any way to give an address that contains anything but a name in the
> unix machine's passwd file, or a machine name found in the Systems
> file or in the PMX sysmap file to the left of the first "!".  The
> new unix /bin/mail that comes with the PMX products can handle some
> forms of routing but the PMX mailers won't pass anything to it unless
> it looks like a valid uucp address.  Am I missing something?

Well, first of all, you're missing the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance
Center (1-800-MAIL-672, i.e., 800-624-5672, or 201-668-6548, or
attmail!atthelp), a group of dedicated men and women who have devoted
their lives to helping people understand and work with the AT&T Mail
service and the Access and PMX products.  (No, I don't work for the
CAC.-)  They can answer most questions, and forward the really tough
ones to the folks with the source code.  (You're also missing the
correct capitalization of PMX/STARMail.)

You can put a line:
	Pwf-validate=n
in your /usr/lib/pmx/pmx.config (or create the file if it doesn't
exist); that way, the PMX products won't check what appear to be local
user names.  Then you can use Enhanced UNIX(R) Mail (the /bin/rmail
replacement) to re-route domain style addresses.  (This is done more
cleanly in System V Release 4.0 rmail.  I can hardly wait.)  For
details, please contact the CAC.

> Actually, I like the programs or I wouldn't bother to complain about
> this (and nits like keeping a plain-text copy of your unix password
> in a configuration file on the PC or losing your mailbox contents when
> the receiving PC's disk is full ).

I'm glad you like it.  The current release of Access PLUS, version 2.1,
stores an encrypted copy of your AT&T Mail or UNIX system password.  I
think it handles full disks more gracefully, too.  For details on
upgrades, contact the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center.

> Les Mikesell, les at chinet.chi.il.us

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc at pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T.
Maybe just this once, I am speaking for the company.