file system fragmentation

Richard Goerwitz goer at sophist.uucp
Fri Feb 9 11:36:27 AEST 1990

I have run into some file system fragmentation after long and hard
use of a hybrid SysV file system (Xenix/386 2.3.3).  Certainly
I could purchase a degragmenter (or obtain packdisk), but for
many purposes this is not necessary (say a basically smooth
file system with just a handful of annoyingly fragmented files).
I've been told that rebuilding the free list (fsck -S) is a good
way to keep things from getting worse (after moving the offending
files out of the file system).  My only question is whether there
is any reason not to run fsck -S on the root file system.

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist at uchicago.bitnet
   goer at sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer