lp help needed

carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 22 12:39:37 AEST 1990

>/* Written  6:40 pm  Feb 19, 1990 by tmanos at tmsys.UUCP in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */
>/* ---------- "lp help needed" ---------- */
>
>Printer problem:
>
>machine: ZEOS 386/20
>os:      Microport SysV/AT rel. 2.4 (I KNOW, I'm saving my money :-))
>printer: Panasonic KXP-1092i, Citizen MSP-10
>port:    /dev/lp1
>
>Problem: the printer prints _excruciatingly_ slowly.
>
>One thing that _is_ really strange is that UNIX prints on lp1, NOT lp0, and
>DOS prints on lpt1:. Does that make sense?

>This problem is driving me NUTS. Anyone have similar experiences?
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */

Machine: Logix 386/25
OS: ISC 2.0.2 SysV 3.2
Printer: Epson LX-100
Port: /dev/lp1
Card: DFI Hercules/Printer

I have exactly the same behaviour. Printing is very slow, even though the
Epson has it's 2K internal buffer enabled. It never prints more than 2 lines
in one "burst" - i.e., it's silent for multiple seconds, and then it blasts
out a line or two, and then goes back to waiting.

Alan M. Carroll                "I hold the line - The line of strength
carroll at cs.uiuc.edu             that pulls me through the fear.
Conversation Builder:           San Jacinto - I hold the line
+ Tomorrow's Tools Today +      San Jacinto - Poison bite and
Epoch Development Team          Darkness take my sight -I hold the line."
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll