lp help needed

Paul D. Selig selig at udcps3.cps.udayton.edu
Fri Feb 23 04:42:36 AEST 1990

>Problem: the printer prints _excruciatingly_ slowly.
>
>One thing that _is_ really strange is that UNIX prints on lp1, NOT lp0, and
>DOS prints on lpt1:. Does that make sense?

>I have exactly the same behaviour. Printing is very slow, even though the
>Epson has it's 2K internal buffer enabled. It never prints more than 2 lines
>in one "burst" - i.e., it's silent for multiple seconds, and then it blasts
>out a line or two, and then goes back to waiting.

I had the same problem on Interactive Unix 386/ix.  Things would print
very slowly under Unix, and fine under DOS.  The solution was very simple:
DOS does not look at the IRQ lines while printing, while Unix does.  Just
double check the settings of your IRQ lines for your printer card, and make
sure that they match the normal AT standards  (I know that IRQ 5 and IRQ 7
are involved, but I don't have in front of me which is which).

If you have any other problems, let me know via E-Mail.

Paul
--
Paul Selig, Jr.			Unix Systems Administrator
The University of Dayton, Computer Science Department, Anderson Center 133
BITNET: selig at dayton.bitnet
UUCP:   selig at cps.udayton.edu or ...!uunet!dayvb!udcps3!selig