Downloading (Part 2)

Ken Abrams kabra437 at pallas.athenanet.com
Fri Feb 9 09:34:45 AEST 1990

In article <5666 at udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> william at vax1.acs.udel.EDU (William H. York) writes:
>In my last posting I asked for help downloading but got more questions
>than I expected.  Here are some specifics...
>I am using Procom version 2.4.2, running a Leading Edge with an internal
>Hayes 1200 modem, my local (pc) line settings are 1200,E,7,1.
>The most common download protocol I use is xmodem on the vax.  Procedure

In the beginning, there was E,7,1; all else was darkness.  This begat
Kermit and the hackers looked upon it and said "It is good".
Then there came N,8,1 and the protocals grew and multiplied; little
xmodems and ymodems sprung up all over the place.
The moral of the story is: If you MUST use E,7,1 you SHOULD stick with
Kermit (yech).  Procomm is not capable of switching packet patterns in
mid-call (and your modem may not be either).  All of the xyzmodem protocals
require N,8,1 and if BOTH ends can't gracefully switch, you are doomed to
failure.  Actually, your best bet is to try to force a logon at N,8,1.
A few C/Rs and a BREAK or 2 will usually get the hosts attention in the
right mode.  If that fails, you can sometimes even logon blindly
by ignoring the trash that echoes back and once you have entered your
logon and password, things will magically display readable characters
again.  If none of this allows you to logon at N,8,1 then you are
probably doomed to using Kermit.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437 at athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965