REVISED: How do I send e-mail to lots of users at a remote unix site?

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Fri Jun 1 03:11:27 AEST 1990

ines: 28

In article <900531093335.30e0f102 at Csa2.LBL.Gov>, thermal%solgel writes:
| I would like to be able to send a mail message to all the users on
| ANOTHER unix machine via Internet.  Of course, I could do it the long
| and tedious way, that is, by sending a mail message to each user, one
| at a time.  Is there a quicker way? (it seems to me there could be two
| or three different ways, such as setting up a mailing list file on my
| machine which will automatically mail the message to all on the list,
| or sending one message to the remote machine and somehow instruct it
| to distribute the message to all the users).  Obviously, I'm not a
| unix guru or wizard, so make your explanation understandable, please.

Write postmaster at at.that.site.  Tell him/her that you are looking for
an alias that people that want general announcements are on.  If
he/she does not give one to you, then *DON'T* send mail to that site.
It's *rude* to send a lot of unsolicited junk mail to a bunch of
people just because they have an account on a system.

When I want junk mail, I read it in bulk, via UseNet. :-)

Kidding aside, why don't you just post your announcement in an
*appropriate* news group?  That's a lot of what Usenet was made for.

Just another news admin,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |