AT&T UNIX System V/386

RSPELLMAN at bat.bates.edu RSPELLMAN at bat.bates.edu
Fri Jun 8 05:03:00 AEST 1990

I am trying to install AT&T UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 onto an
AT&T 6386 WGS.  The disk drive I am trying to use is a Miniscribe
6128 (1024 cylinders, 8 heads, 26 sectors), with a Western Digital
WD1003-RAH controller.  The controller and drive are RLL.  The bios
doesn't have a drive type that corresponds with the drive.  The
closest the bios can come is drive type 29 (614 cylinders, 8 heads,
26 sectors).

When I install UNIX, it will only format the first 614 cylinders.
I've tried using Ontrack's Disk Manager (it came with the drive) to
create a partition for UNIX, but when I try to install UNIX, it
croaks when trying to format the 615th cylinder.

Is there some way I can get UNIX to use the whole drive?

Rob Spellman
RSpellman at Bat.Bates.edu