AT&T UNIX System V/386

rick at tmiuv0.uucp rick at tmiuv0.uucp
Tue Jun 12 00:01:48 AEST 1990

In article <23566 at adm.BRL.MIL>, RSPELLMAN at bat.bates.edu writes:
[excuse the liberal editing...]
> I am trying to install AT&T UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2 onto an
> AT&T 6386 WGS.  The disk drive I am trying to use is a Miniscribe
> 6128 (1024 cylinders, 8 heads, 26 sectors), with a Western Digital
> WD1003-RAH controller. The closest the bios can come is drive type
> 29 (614 cylinders, 8 heads, > 26 sectors).
>
> When I install UNIX, it will only format the first 614 cylinders.
> I've tried using Ontrack's Disk Manager (it came with the drive) to
> create a partition for UNIX, but when I try to install UNIX, it
> croaks when trying to format the 615th cylinder.
>
> Is there some way I can get UNIX to use the whole drive?

Rob,

You should use the "user defined" drive type (under AMI BIOS, it's number
47, I believe).  Run your AT setup program and select the "user defined"
drive type.  Give it the full geometry of the drive (1024 cylinders,
etc.).  Unix should have no problems after that.

The reason it "croaks" on the 615th cylinder is because BIOS only knows
about 614.  Using Disk Manager will work only for DOS (it adds a driver
to your config.sys file and a few other things).  On top of that, you only
need Disk Manager if you're running something less than DOS 4.x.
--
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \