TERMCAP environment variable. (I am going to get flamed for this).

Stephen Quan quan at sol.surv.utas.oz
Sun Jun 3 15:41:49 AEST 1990

I known I am going to get flamed for this one, so I just say that I
can expect someone from around the corner to tell me to RTFM.
(RTFM almost = Read the Fine Manual).

Currently I am using a terminal which has no proper terminal type
entry in our /etc/termcap file.  My terminal type is ICL-kds7362.
(its moments like these that I wish I had a VT100).

I can figure out what codes do what (ie move the cursor, and so on),
by myself, but the thing is how do I included this during my vi?
I only partially understand the format of the /etc/termcap database,
and realise that if you have an environment variable TERMCAP, vi
will look at that first before looking at the database.

Can someone explain the parameters, I just need to know the essential
ones are to get vi going.  At the moment we have one but sometimes it
plays up on me, so have to constantly redraw -  I would like to have
a go making my own.

For other users who need a ICL kds7362 termcap entry but do not have
one try using either : f200 (=freedom200) or tvi5 (=televideo925),
they are harse approximations but if you are desperate you would use
them.  Remember ^L or ^R to redraw during vi otherwise things can get
very confusing!

Stephen Quan
--
quan at sol.surv.utas.edu.au     <- This is great I can post to the net!