Codata help wanted

Gordon Vickers gordon at prls.UUCP
Tue Mar 6 03:00:07 AEST 1990

In article <27485 at cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth at cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:

>I have a machine, a Codata model 3300, and am in need of help for it!

  GOOD LUCK !!
   We have a Codata 3300 as well and confined it to some "shelf rest" a
 few years ago after it fell ill.

   These were once manufactured right down the street from us but the
  company "dissapeared" without warning one day. Rumor was that they were
  purchased by Contel but I was not able to find anyone at Contel that had
  heard of them.

   I would suggest trying to return the machine and get your money back from
  the previouse owner.  The Codata 3300 was VERY SLOW (even with only a single
  user logged on) , the operating system was BUGGY and ill supported, and
  it's unlikely that you'll ever find any support for the machine.

   If it worked when shelved but not afterwards, prehaps you need only blow
  the dust out of it and I believe there was a battery for the time of day
  clock, it there was, replace the battery maybe it's prohibiting a much
  needed interupt.

   Once it IS up and running, brace yourself for some dissapointments. The
  compiler is unforgiving, the utilities are unembellished and depending
  on which version of the OS you have, you may not have a printer spooler
  or may have a buggy version of it.  It is also full of security holes
  so excerise extreme caution if you have dreams of running a BBS.

    I've long been tempted to "surplus" our Codata so I could then bid on
  purchasing it.  I would be so nice to have a multi-user, multi-tasking
  UNIX system at home.  In reality, I've decided to buy an IBM PC compatible.
  The PC is much better supported, and though I hate it (from a programmers
  perspective), it is the best choice for my needs and expected needs. The
  Codata, on the other hand, is now archaic and required hardware maintance
  about once each year.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370, at Signetics  (Sunnyvale, California, USA )
{mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!facv01!gordon       ** All disclaimers apply **
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.