Termcap question

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Mar 2 14:21:38 AEST 1990

In article <5708 at star.cs.vu.nl> gpvos at cs.vu.nl (Vos G P) writes:
>This introduces another problem, though. Now i can't get a \0 in my strings!
>Can someone help me with that? As no high bits are stripped, \200 gives me
>a neat \200, instead of the \0 the man pages say.

I hope \200 will serve your terminal's needs, because you cannot embed
a constant \000 in termcap strings; they're handled by programs as C
null-terminated strings and thus cannot contain a 0-valued byte.  A 0
byte can be output via termcap/libtermlib only as the result of
parameter substitution (or, of course, as a padding character).

I'm curious as to the kind of terminal you have that requires a 0 byte
for some non-padding function.  I've never encountered this myself..