Kermit vs uugetty

Clarence Dold dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Sun Mar 11 14:15:18 AEST 1990

in article <62 at demott.COM>, kdq at demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) says:

>     We have a modem on /dev/tty01 with a uugetty running on it for
> have ftp capability).  I have kermit to do the transfers, but it seems

uugetty / kermit live happily on my machine.  I recall that I had to change
the 'locks' directory as defined in Kermit so that it agreed with the lock
files that uugetty was adhering to.
There was also a problem that kermit now had to be suid -> uucp, just like
cu, however the standard kermit will fork a shell (! from the prompt) with
the uid set to uucp, a little nasty, security wise.  I think I fixed that
with a setuid(getuid()), just before the fork/exec.
System V R 3.2 eliminates that problem, as /bin/sh ignores setuid < 100.

--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold at tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293