AT&T source license

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Tue Mar 27 06:29:05 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar26.194904.25560 at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>
jstewart at madhaus.utcs (John Stewart) writes:

| We'd like to get source code for Mach from CMU.  The bottleneck is that we
| need to get an AT&T Unix source license so we can get a BSD source license
| so we can a Mach license.  Confused?  Join the crowd.
|
| I've tried talking to AT&T but with little success so far.  The people
| I've spoken to seem to think any type of source license would cost around
| $100,000.  Maybe that would be reasonable if we were a commercial company
| doing Unix development but we're not.  We don't need AT&T source code at
| all; all we need is a piece of paper that will make Berkeley happy.

BSD code contains source code from the original UNIX'es.  Mach 2.5
contains BSD code (which contains AT&T code).  Thus you need to get
AT&T source code.  If AT&T no longers offers a reduced license
agreement for Universities, and does not offer earlier versions of
Unix (I believe you need at least a 32V license, you may need a System
V.2 license, which went for ~40,000), you are indeed between a rock
and a hard place.  Since they own the source rights, there is not much
you can do....
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so