(none) Really: Internet vs Usenet vs ... addresses

Lyle Seaman lws at comm.wang.com
Fri Mar 30 08:20:29 AEST 1990

echarne at ics.uci.edu (Eli B. Charne) writes:

>  If you friend is on the Internet, (and using Unix), they should be able to
>  find their E-mail address by typing:

>	grep `hostname` /etc/hosts

>  where `hostname` should expand to their machine name, otherwise they can put
>  the machine name in that place... There might be a "prettier" way to do
>  this.

This isn't strictly true.  Anyone may have an internal TCP/IP network,
but not be on THE Internet.  For instance, if I do
"grep `hostname` /etc/hosts"  I get 192.35.131.241.  This _is_ a valid
and duly registered network address, but I have no connections to the
real Internet.  If somebody does this and assumes that they are on the
Internet, they are in for quite a bit more confusion.

Lyle                      Wang             lws at comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws