(none)

Eli B. Charne echarne at ics.uci.edu
Tue Mar 27 09:34:35 AEST 1990

In article <22875 at adm.BRL.MIL> yintien at grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Yintien Wang) writes:
>All you netters out there :
>
>				I've been trying to get on a machine
>in N.J. I do have that machine e-mail address ( of my friend) but I
>can't telnet it. My friend work for a major firm which required that
>machine to go through a *.com ( gateway ? ) before the mail reached
>me. Here is the question for all you wizer out there
>       1. Is there a way I can look up the machine node's name under
>          telnet ? I would like to see what in the world my machine is
>          connected to.

  Not really.  You may want to try 'telnet nic.ddn.mil'

    From there you can say "whois your.friend.com" (where your.friend.com is
    your friend's Internet address).  You may also be able to simply say
    (locally) whois your.friend.com

>       2. Is there a way my friend could do in his machine to find out
>          his internet address number in order for me to telnet to his
>          machine.

  If you were saying that his mail had to go through a '.com' site, he/she
  might not be directly on the Internet, in which case you wouldn't be able to
  telnet there.

  Som E-mail addresses have what is called a mail-exchanger.  These places do
  not have a direct connection to the Internet, so there mail gets forwarded
  through the exchanger.  The exhanger might have a modem that then transfers
  the mail to the destination site, or some other connection.

  If you friend is on the Internet, (and using Unix), they should be able to
  find their E-mail address by typing:

	grep `hostname` /etc/hosts

  where `hostname` should expand to their machine name, otherwise they can put
  the machine name in that place... There might be a "prettier" way to do
  this.

						  -Eli
  mail to a place that has a mail-exchanger
--
Eli Charne
echarne at ics.uci.edu               echarne at uci.bitnet
echarne at nrtc.northrop.com