Kermit vs uugetty

Philip A. Gross pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
Tue Mar 13 03:47:21 AEST 1990

kdq at demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) writes:

>    We have a modem on /dev/tty01 with a uugetty running on it for
>normal network use.  Occasionally, I would like to be able to use this
>modem to call other systems (such as bbs's) and transfer files (we don't
>have ftp capability).  I have kermit to do the transfers, but it seems
>to butt heads with the uugetty in trying to get the incoming data -
>uugetty reads the output from kermit, barfs, sends error messages which
>kermit gets as input.

>    Is there any way to make these guys happy campers? I hate to think
>that this:

>    - modify /etc/inittab, changing respawn to off for /dev/tty01
>    - kill the uugetty
>    - use kermit
>    - modify /etc/inittab back to original
>    - kick init.

>is the only "right" way to do things.  What am I missing?

>kdq
>--

Well, I am going to guess that you might be using Un*x SVR3.2 or
thereabouts.  HoneyDanBer uucp uses the directory /usr/spool/locks
to keep lock files regarding what devices are in use, etc.  Many
early versions of kermit may use the /usr/spool/uucp directory
for these lock files.  You basically need to modify kermit, if you
have the sources, so that it uses the /usr/spool/locks directory
instead.  The HDB version of uugetty should then keep its mouth
shut when kermit creates a lock file such as
/usr/spool/locks/LCK..tty01.

Hope this may point you in the proper direction.
Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
USENET:		...!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)
Philip A. Gross       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	pag at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com