AT&T source license

ryerson.schwark ry at cbnewsl.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 28 00:24:53 AEST 1990

meissner at osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
>jstewart at madhaus.utcs (John Stewart) writes:
>
>| We'd like to get source code for Mach from CMU.  The bottleneck is that we
>| need to get an AT&T Unix source license so we can get a BSD source license
>| so we can a Mach license.  Confused?  Join the crowd.
>|
>| I've tried talking to AT&T but with little success so far.  The people
>| I've spoken to seem to think any type of source license would cost around
>| $100,000.  Maybe that would be reasonable if we were a commercial company
>| doing Unix development but we're not.  We don't need AT&T source code at
>| all; all we need is a piece of paper that will make Berkeley happy.
>
>BSD code contains source code from the original UNIX'es.  Mach 2.5
>contains BSD code (which contains AT&T code).  Thus you need to get
>AT&T source code.  If AT&T no longers offers a reduced license
>agreement for Universities, and does not offer earlier versions of
>Unix (I believe you need at least a 32V license, you may need a System
>V.2 license, which went for ~40,000), you are indeed between a rock
>and a hard place.  Since they own the source rights, there is not much
>you can do....

AT&T remains committed to educational pricing.  A University-wide license
for Release 3.0 costs $1200, and would grant you the rights that
you need.  Release 4.0 is also available if you are interested.
The Price of $100,000 is the commercial price for a Release 4.0
license.

I'm sorry that the people you have spoken to have been less than helpful.
Pleae try the 1-800-828-UNIX number and identify yourself as from a
university(I'm assuming from your header that you are), and let them
know that you need a Release 3 license.  They can explain the information
that they need.

If you have any further problems, please feel free to call me at
(201) 644-3770, and I'd be glad to help.

Ry Schwark
ryerson.schwark at att.com
att!uso!ry
UNIX Software Operation