RCS: how do you freeze a configuration?

Mark Runyan runyan at hpcuhc.HP.COM
Wed Mar 28 03:43:51 AEST 1990

>/ meyer at gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Urs Meyer) /  7:34 am  Mar 26, 1990 /
>
>One question remains open in
>my opinion.  Say, you have a collection of files, each with a (possibly)
>different revision number.  In order to create a configuration ready to
>be released, I'd like to assign the same symbolic name to the latest
>revision of each file, s.t. the symbol is fixed to the latest revision
>forever.

A possible solution using existing RCS commands.

rcs -nSymbolName: *,v

Where "SymbolName" is a symbolic name that you wish to use to indicate
a particular revision, the ":" implies set "SymbolName" to top revision
of the file, and "*,v" means all the RCS files.

For instance, if I had 3 different directories, with RCS subdirectories,
and each directory had twelve files, whose top revision number varies
between 1.1 and 20.6, and I want to mark the top revision with one
symbol, I could do:

  rcs -nRel_A/B1/00: */RCS/*,v

and Rel_A/B1/00 would point (fixed) to the top revision of all those
files.  So Rel_A/B1/00 might point to 1.1 in fileA of the first directory,
but it could also point to 20.6 in fileN of the third directory.

The ":" without a number means point to the top most revision of the file.

Mark Runyan