Stupid UNIX command syntax (Re: Stupidest UNIX Command)

Mike Lyons mike at nixba.UUCP
Mon May 7 09:31:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990May5.233549.4987 at agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-3cf at e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Dan Kogai) writes:
>In article <7Z739XAxds13 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>You mean, the way if you have files named a and b, and you say "uniq ?",
>>it will trash "b"? Indent does it too. It's really a sick idea.
>>
>	But at least indent makes backup!  Uniq just kills it...

Nah, indent will blow away the second file named in a line like "indent a.c b.c"

I once pulled an "indent *.c" on a set of about 30 source files in a
directory.  Indent complained that the last file name in the list was an
"unknown parameter," simultaneously blowing away the second file from the
list.  No, I didn't have a backup for the 2000+ lines of source, nor did I
even notice it until I tried to do a make right before a deadline. >-(

Peace,
  Mike

--
Michael D. Lyons / Nixdorf Computer AG / phone: +49 911 6415 609
Donaustrasse 36 :: D-8500 Nuernberg 60 :: Federal Republic of Germany