ESDI controllers/drives & SCO UNIX

DBarker at syetm-m.phx.bull.com DBarker at syetm-m.phx.bull.com
Wed May 2 17:14:48 AEST 1990

Thanks for all those who steered me clear of the Perstor controllers.
Now - does anyone out there have any experience of the following?
          NEC 5655 153Mb ESDI disk
          Western Digital WD1007A-WA2 ESDI controller
with SCO UNIX (or Xenix)?

My SCO UNIX release notes say that it will work OK with the WD1007
(ST506) and WD1006 (ESDI) controllers - so I am a bit puzzled as to why
the WD1007A should be ESDI rather than ST506 - oh well... I am VERY
reulctant to spend large amounts of money without the benefit of someone
else's experience, as I discovered the hard way that the Seagate SCSI
controller won't even boot UNIX from floppy - despite the company's
claims that it works fine with "all UNIX's". (In fact it won't even boot
otherm non-DOS software such as the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
game).

Any info - either to me direct or here - will be MUCH appreciated.

"Send Lawyers, Guns and Money,
Dad - get me out of this!"

Deryk Barker,
Jupiter Software